Thursday, October 15, 2015

Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt of 1858 Beginnings

I will refer Gentle Reader to the Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt of 1858 blog and the Virginia Quilt Museum web site for details about this lovely quilt pattern and its role in raising money for the museum in celebration of its 20th anniversary.
My quilt plan is to the right of the original.  Changes:
1. The tree and the rainbow blocks come out for pillow designs. 
2. I split the design of some blocks, duplicated and made into two different blocks.
3. Only one pineapple block.
4. 5 blocks for 5 colors: red, pink, purple, orange, yellow

Hand dyed fabrics from Ricky Tims: soft as velvet with mottled colors.

Raw edge appliqué that I plan to edge stitch and quilt using the Ricky Tims stabilizer method with bright, variegated threads.  I attended his 3 day seminar in Charlestown, WV in July and have been itching to use his appliqué methods.

14 comments:

  1. I like the way you have changed your blocks. I have been thinking of doing something similar.
    The fabrics are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to read how some are changing and some not. I just did one pineapple myself, since I didn't want to do the rainbows and the liberty tree. By eliminating those and 2 pineapples I have eliminated a row, though I do intend on making a red & green pineapple down the line for a different quilt. Your block is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, people seem to be eliminating the same two blocks...

      Delete
  3. I really like your quilt Re-Design. It's beautiful and so it that Pineapple block of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I want to play with the tree and rainbow, easier in a rectangular format, I think. Plus I like the consistency of flowers and foliage for the quilt itself.

      Delete
  4. The hand-dyed fabrics are beautiful in this block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Karen. This fabric has a wonderfully soft feel.

      Delete
  5. Love those fabrics and I was thinking of changing up a few blocks too si I am very happy to see I won't be alone. This is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As my favorite quilt teacher, Aunt Reen aka Doreen Johnson, says: It's *your* quilt; make it exactly the way you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those rich fabrics, and your plan. What a great idea to cut and paste the blocks on the photo. And, thank you so much for mentioning Ricky Tims - I used his YouTube tutorial - and might have otherwise given up on this project before really beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricky is an awesome instructor, both entertaining and encouraging.

      Delete
  8. I've enjoyed workshops with Ricky. Your use of hand dyes is fantastic for this botanical project! I added you to my blog roll and look forward to following your progress. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Dawn. I love this fabric and I like the illusion of depth from the dark background.

    ReplyDelete